Saturday, November 17, 2012

A different sort of commission for me...landscape in pen and ink

I just completed my most recent commission in pen and ink. This was a little different than my normal subjects, but still an enjoyable challenge to render. As usual, this was done with my 3X0 (.25) Rapidograph pen on smooth Bristol paper.


The scene is a special one for the recipient, so a different composition was not really an option. Because the final drawing is approximately 9X12 (fairly small), I tried to focus on using various pen and ink techniques to highlight the different textures present. I did some heavy cross-hatching on the metal railing in the foreground; squiggly line work to show the foliage behind the railing; stippling to indicate sand on the beach; and various straight, fanned-out line work to fill in the palm trees.

I think it turned out very nicely and hope the recipient enjoys it!

Have you done any challenging projects lately? How did you manage to work around any tough parts?

5 comments:

Tina Kauffman said...

Very nice! I love working with the Rapidiograph pens, the technical side of things. Its amazing how well they lend themselves to shading and yet can be so detailed. I think you did a great job here! : )

Carol Creech said...

Thanks, Tina! Yes, even though I think I am crazy sometimes, I love working with the finest pen (the 3X0)for my drawings. The detail you can get is so awesome.
Carol

Nora MacPhail said...

Sensational. I'll have to try those pens! I use Micron.
Happy Creating!

Linda Kunsman said...

this is really beautiful-thanks for sharing at Artists in Blogland!

Carol Creech said...

Thanks, Nora and Linda!
Carol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...