Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Red-Tailed Hawk Tail Feather - First Molt?



I had a rare find when I was out and about recently -- a beautiful feather. I looked it up and think it is a red-tailed hawk tail feather from a first molting. I was able to do a very rough sketch of it and took some photos. I hope to do a more detailed pen and ink study of it, adding color. This is graphite pencil with some colored pencil added to get a sense of the color scheme. 

I love the pattern of dark brown, tan, and creamy white and was fascinated to see all of the details up-close.

Have you ever found anything unusual in your wanderings that you were able to draw or photograph?

4 comments:

Feathers said...

Carol, your feather is outstanding! It looks so soft and touchable. You really did capture the colors too.
I also pick up odd findings to draw, often small stones of different shapes and colors, but more often I'm "drawn" to leaves and feathers. I did find a jawbone once that I believe is from a squirrel, but am not really sure. It's all white with some teeth still attached. I've never drawn it, however. Along Lake Michigan shore, I've found a few bird skulls, (probably seagulls), no drawings of those either. I'd better get busy!!! By the way, did I say--I love your feather!

MILLY said...

Great find Carol. I like your drawing and you have captured the colours and detail so nicely. I have often used coloured pencils for feathers as the colours blend well to give the feather a sheen.
Be warned, you will get hooked on feathers. look forward to seeing the ink version.
millyx

Carol Creech said...

Thanks Feathers and Milly! The bird skulls sound awesome. I am fascinated by animal skeletons and skulls. Never have drawn one yet, though.
Carol

Claire DeRosa said...

I want to leave a comment on everythin!!! lol This feather is so beautiful. I take my camera with me at least 50% of the time. I use the photos to inspire me with colors in my jewelry. Come see my blog Carol. http://www.Abouttobeme.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...